Sunday, January 22, 2012

Top Of The World

Takao at the top of the world

Hanging out at the "top of the world"  Takao and I hiked up to the Ganesha Temple and spent some quiet time meditating.  I had almost forgotten how lovely true silence and stillness is.

It isn't my imagination how much I am harassed as a white, female.  Walking around with Takao has been eye opening, since people don't approach you, talk to you, or make advancements while passing when a woman is with a man.  It has been nice to have a bit of break, but it also made me realize more deeply how much abuse, disrespect, and violence that women face.  Is there a place on the big cycle called life that women don't suffer in some way?  Skin color, abnormality of features, gait irregularity and all variations of humans are fodder for bullying I suppose, so gender fits right in.

In spite of the different list of obstacles at home, I would have no interest to reside in an undeveloped country where there is such disrespect for woman.  Gurudev is the attraction and the lifestyle has been part of the fire for transformation.  When you know something different, it is a much bigger wall to climb over, but with grace and will supporting me, I will keep on climbing.

How to act within my capacity?  Just like touching oneness, I have now lived in the disturbing reality of women as victims on a large scale.  I want to be able to walk down the street and look around--not just putting blinders on and looking at the ground.  I wish this for all women--and more of course.

I am not guilty of anything for being a white, woman, walking.

Sri Aurobindo

                                  Suffering
   
    "The vast universal suffering feel as thine:
   Thou must bear the sorrow that thou claimst to heal;
       The day-bringer must walk in darkest night.
    He who would save the world must share its pain.
  If he knows not grief, how shall he find grief's cure?"
  

No comments: