Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Truth and raw beauty

Let's love the planet

Not to pick on India, I thought this could be a great picture for a worldwide campaign.  The irony of the sign, the green grass, and the garbage.  It says it all--the truth of the global picture.

The part of India that I am falling in love with is its rawness. Now that I am not in constant pain about it all, I love the authenticity of it.  You really get to see how people live and think without the pretext of Botox, breast implants, and perfect hair color. What you see is what you get.  While I was walking along the main road (4 lanes), I could see from a distance that there was a little girl crouched down under a truck with no pants.  I thought how odd, but she looked darling.  As I got closer, I could see that she was using the pavement as a bathroom. I didn't mean to stare, but my brain was momentarily trying to understand what I was looking at.  She smiled and waved like it was all normal and she could be sitting on one of the floats at the Rose Parade in Pasadena, California.  Should I be sad and think, wow how tragic that there are no public bathroom facilities or home or whatever the story is.  Or part of me marvels at her openness acceptance of the situation, and offering of love.  My heart went to constrict for a moment and then I thanked her for being my teacher.  

No comments: