Thursday, August 25, 2011

The fire is lovely


Silence, sitting, and emails all great for generating a new balance point.

Do I understand how the majority of people walk by the dying animals and debris?  No.  Do I want to get to a point within myself that I harden my heart, so I don't have compassion for them?  No.  Am I grateful to come from a country where I don't have to think about such graphic aspects of living on a daily basis?  Yes.  Do I have gratitude for the teachings from Gurudev and the refuge of the ashram?  Yes.  Do I feel a need to dive in and do something?  Sometimes.  Do I want to lose the option for service and action?  No  Do I want to run away with my hair on fire?  Sometimes  Do I feel a deep unfolding of love and bliss?  Sometimes.  Did I sign up for this?  Yes.  Am I glad that I signed up?  Yes.

Do I understand that staying present in the moment would help the pain?  Yes.  Do I experience the difference in consciousness around animals?  Yes.  Do I have gratitude for someone like the English woman who started Help in Suffering?  Yes.  For the continued support of an organization like that?  Yes.  And the multitude of other organizations that help with suffering?  Yes.

Will I continue to take walks?  Yes.  Will I practice being present and evaluating the call to action?  Yes.
Will I smile when I have pictures sent of my animals happily hanging out while I am here?  Yes.  Will I look at the world differently as a result of these experiences?  Yes.  Will it all make sense one day?  Probably.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated"  Mahatma Ghandi


"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals"
 Immanual Kant



No comments: