Sunday, December 11, 2011

Life As A Spiral Staircase


So de we draw a card in a particular lifetime and then keep circling around the ascending (or descending) staircase viewing/reviewing certain aspects of life as check points?  Did we pass the test?  A portion of the test, but expecting a do-over at some point or a deeper lesson?  While watching Gurudev receive medical treatment for something that stung him or cut him and proceeded to infect his body (he is fine now), brought my awareness back to being at the side of my Father's hospital bed the night before he passed away.  He was someone I loved dearly and was unknowingly a silent teacher of the heart.  I now sit with a different awareness of the heart, but gratitude bathes this moment on the staircase.

Another step, re-examining the sense of loss as Gurudev departs for 12 days.  Noting my entry into the land of spirituality/India with questions and suspiciousness and now noting a pull on my heart with the separation.  I had to laugh and remind myself that the work is inside and ever present, but the mind/ego had to jump into the scene while emotions were present.  The deeper presence in the heart without attachment supports the equanimity.  As before, it is an opportunity to explore where I am without the remarkable physical presence of Gurudev.

As I continue to read through the Gita, I appreciate the questions that Arjuna continues to ask.  He is often asking the questions that are bubbling up inside of me.  There appears to be a flow and natural/logical progression to the book.  The first time I read it, it created an order in the unknown stages of the spiritual world.  The second time through, it is providing detail and answering a new set of questions that have arisen in the past year. The book clarifies the benefits of a spiritual master for transcending the material world--not to mention the grace.

Revisited the Sadhu's presence again as two stopped in at the ashram.  Something had shifted considerably.  There was a gently exchange as we looked into one another's eyes--the casing was very different, but the exchange of the inner being was familiar.  I had grown in my understanding of the two worlds.  They happened to walk by where I was taking pictures and we had a nice conversation with hand gestures to compliment one's cool lace-up tennis shoes with a small pouch attached for valuables. Turbin, wrapped Sadhu attire, walking stick, and black/white high-top lace up tennis shoes--let's hear it for the 21st Century!  India is zero to one hundred every moment.


No comments: