Wednesday, December 14, 2011

DISHA Hippotherapy

Morning Assembly
Getting Started
Hippotherapy offered at DISHA www.dishafoundation.org , I was invited to come out and experience another facet of India's support for disabled, young people.  The military generously provides a bus, horses, and rider/handlers to facilitate the children having a unique experience with horses.  The magic of horses is an international phenomena.  The process was to put the children on the front of the saddle with a rider and take them for a ride.   I asked if they had ever considered placing the children on alone, with a side-walker on each side, and a handler at the horse's head. It had not been tried, but with much enthusiasm, they jumped right in. I had the good fortune to observe the process at the therapeutic riding center in Southern California www.sheacenter.org during the past 5 years.   They are one of the leading centers in North America for hippotherapy.

Normal process
Making Changes
First test run
While watching the transformation, I never would have guessed they were using polo ponies who had never done this before and the children within one lap were starting to find their center balance, core stabilization, and independence.  Wow, it was remarkable to witness such a change.  The adults helping were surprised as well.  One person remarked that now she could really understand the benefits of hippotherapy.  I don't have an experienced eye for the therapeutic side, but I have years of observing transformation in riding position, so I could see it too!  It all touched that very deep place I am uncovering in my heart from the spiritual journey.   Too bad California wasn't closer, so the "experts" could come and give a hand, but I will offer what I can and focus on safety--getting helmets for the children, safe footwear, handling techniques for the horses, looking at alignment in the children. etc.

Final Group
(Quite a moment for me to watch the last two boys sitting up unassisted with big smiles on their faces--completely forgetting their disabilities until I saw them crawling up the stairs after dismounting.  Thank you to the Shea Center for letting me absorb your thoughtful/professional process!)

No comments: