Sunday, December 4, 2011

Dancing Devotion


Something that I read in The Gita created a new thought process around Absolute Devotion--a new way to approach/allow it.  What a relief.  I wasn't sure how I was getting over that hurdle other than the initial shifting of freeway driving--intelligence to heart.

Meditation with a creative sense of humor.  I was sitting quietly without a single thought.  Next thing I know, I am ballroom dancing with Gurudev's energy field.  It really surprised me, since those two aspects of my life have never overlapped.   Then I realized that the devotion I was examining was a form of partnering, but partnering with the Divine.

 The last two years of my ballroom dance training was using a system created by a World Champion Ballroom Dancer who had become a Buddhist.  He created a system that was pure lead and follow--no preplanned choreography.  The woman is led by small cues that start from the inside of the man's body and travel out through his extremities to her extremities and inner body.  We had to communicate from a very subtle place inside and outside our bodies.  The leader's actions are expressed with sensitivity, clarity, and respect.  I was very fortunate (grace) to learn this system from a man who didn't live in his ego which is rare for a well trained ballroom dancer.  He was equally pleased to have a partner who was willing to dance in the unknown, but with presence, inner calmness, and power on request.

At our final competition together, the highest goal of the work was to completely let go and trust each other. Very few people in the world use this system because of the level of refined communication and timing needed for it to look fluid.   It was a treasured experience.  I never would have guessed it was a warm up for Absolute Devotion--unquestioned following.

No comments: