Saturday, April 16, 2011

A walk in nature





I headed out for a walk after three hours of meditating--to stretch my legs. I found an organized path and garden around the left side of the lake--like a gold strike. It was the first time I have seen a glimpse of true nature, since I arrived in Jaipur. It had sections of green-natural vegetation, minimal trash, and the sound of nature's stillness. At first I was just so happy to be walking in peace. As I rounded one of the bends, I felt a moment of Africa and its' truth to nature--some sort of water buffalo lounging in a pool of water surrounded by green plants.

I have never gone this long without touching animals and nature, so it was quite a distinct moment for rediscovering what nature has to offer. When I got back to the ashram and began to meditate again, I still felt full of peace. It had been poured in from the outside, but it still helped me to find the inner peace. The animals, landscape, a warm cup of chai, listening to a favorite tune, talking to a friend, etc. have all provided inner peace from exterior to interior--but it wears off. I learned more about meditation--it is the filling of peace from the inside.

My trip started at the Apartheid Museum in South Africa. I learned a lot about Nelson Mandela and thought about his 22 (or 27?) years in prison. And he came out in peace. I wondered what he had found in there to survive the challenges of confinement. May I dare say that it must have been some inner connection that allowed him to stay "full"?

No comments: