Thursday, April 28, 2011

The nature of the symbolism

It is so lovely how I get mini teachings from the disciples of Gurudev. One of the women graciously explained about the evolution of the different spiritual beings (Durga, Shiva, etc.) in the practice of Hinduism. What they represent, how to incorporate and be inspired by their symbolism. It isn't as much the form of the divine being, but what is behind the form. For me this all helps, since I have never been "religious." The authenticity of animals and nature have been more of my inspired core of beliefs. Anything with skin/bones/two legs tends to be cause for suspicion, so this is another reason that I am so struck by Gurudev's purity. I keep hearing how each guru has their personal "style" and Gurudev's is love, peace, and compassion. While living in India, I would be interested to experience other gurus not unlike experiencing the different wild animals in South Africa--all animals, just different spots, ways of moving, etc.

Sometimes people who speak English as a second language use words in a more direct and literal way than native speakers whose familiarity with the words can lead to generalities and vagueness. I often find it refreshing and it brings new life to the truth of the spoken word. The idea of unconditional surrender was brought up and it struck me, because my brain wanted to go automatically to unconditional love. Cousins by nature, but what could be learned by the word choice of unconditional surrender? A lot! Probably the next door to open or potion to drink, (Alice...)

A small group of people at the ashram have been curious to read my blog and see how I am experiencing all of this as a westerner, so there is an interest for me to keep blogging and see what happens in my California life as a result of the teachings. How cool is that! Oh, I just noticed that people have made comments on the blog entries--on the blog, so thank you (not to leave out mentioning all of the amazing emails too!!!)

This evening, I spent a few minutes reflecting on "one day left" feelings. Was I sad, happy, anxious, relieved? Probably fragments of all, but the best part is feeling like I am taking home some new sense of inner being and peace that can be connected to no matter where I am in the world. It isn't really a goodbye in the way we typically feel leaving friends and family, but only a relocation of a new inner light. Maybe it is like the Olympic torch that is carried from one Olympic site to the next without ever being extinguished? Of course, I will miss the direct feed, mega-wattage created through Gurudev, the holy company who attend the ashram, and the spiritual lineage, but he mentioned the word "nature." Instead of going to the ashram, I can go to the beach and take in the peaceful expansiveness of the ocean or sit under one of the amazing trees in the area or...

No comments: