Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Animal Awareness Day

It is hard not to be aware of animals when you have them everywhere, but today appeared to be more of my normal animal tuning in level. Probably sparked by Liz's message that she had checked on the critters at Sterling Farms and surprisingly, Jaz was the only one not confused by my absence. Persephone was at the biggest loss.

There was a moment coming out of the ashram that I passed a couple of cows, a small group of donkeys (8-10 with packs) came running down the street and stood by me, I glanced over to the left and their was a large group of pigs living it up, and down the street a few hundred feet there were camels. Keep in mind that this was with cars, rickshaws, and bicycles rushing by. I guess the donkeys running over to me made sense, because I wasn't nervous by their presence. The herder was yelling at me to move, because the donkeys were not cooperating while I was standing there--too funny.

Later in the day, I was talking to a crying puppy in an enclosed area when a group of small children came over and asked if I wanted to take the puppy out. They seemed to be afraid of the puppy because she had a hole in her stomach, so they were more surprised when I picked her up for some TLC. It looked like a fairly simple hole that could use some antibiotics--haven't gone into that thinking depth at all except for the camel who appeared painful and depressed because he had lost the top of his nose above the nose ring.

It is interesting that I have been so focused on the human aspect that I have sort of kept the animals in my peripheral radar. In some aspects, even with worm infestation/poor nutrition, many of them are happier because they are free to move around. Most of you know my thoughts on animals living in small spaces without proper turnout. Interesting for me to look at the flip-side of this where the animals are free, but frequently with marginal health management.

During my night walk home, I saw a cow pulling a cart, stray dogs sleeping everywhere, and an elephant heading home after a days work giving tourist rides. A few gypsy families asleep on the side of the road too.

No comments: