Friday, April 22, 2011

Meditating in rush hour traffic

While I was starting my morning routine of stretching, crunches, band work, and jumping rope, I turned on the television. Crazy to see a program that is based in Las Vegas. I watched the same program in Las Vegas and Oceanside while working out at the gym. Parallel universe...

Didn't need to watch that again, so when I switched the channel, Mrs. Doubtfire was on. It happened to be the part of the movie where the husband has the petting zoo come to his house. After being in India, that doesn't look as strange. I was marveling on my walk, how often do you pass 5 elephants strolling by within arms length, a dozen or so camel hanging out for camel rides, ponies trotting by with small carts loaded with goods for the market, cows and dogs hanging out everywhere, and an occasional mini burro to throw into the mix. It is going to be so boring having only mechanized vehicles on the road.

As I started my walk today, there was a man who looked like he was in deep meditation sitting on the curb-- completely at peace. You would never know rush hour traffic was passing with the usual chaos of honking vehicles, rickshaws, animals, pedestrians--you name it and without lines on the road. Wow, that is an awesome goal.

Had a brief, but lovely chat with one of the Indian disciples who read my blog. The part she loved was how I understood that Gurudev teaches from inside: he guides the consciousness development by opening the heart to peace and love. She shared some of his methods and her experiences. It sounded like a print out of what I was looking for. How cool is that. She appreciates how he works with each person and his or her uniqueness. He doesn't impose his "way," but he guides the unfolding to a place of higher consciousness, inner peace, and compassion. Also interesting, she said the guru picks the people they have some "contract" to work with. This is the second time that I have heard this idea, so I am curious to learn more.

No comments: