Thursday, October 6, 2011

Dream State and Wake State Overlap


Durga Celebration is quite remarkable with the dedication at all levels.  The ashram was in an almost constant state of motion with preparation, event, and clean up--for 9 days!  As I move along on my path, I am clearer that the ritual part is interesting, but not my inspiration or motivation. A single-pointed, deepening into what is the Divine and my personal role is the pull.  Sitting in silence and reading are my interests at the moment. I had a graphic reinforcement of that yesterday.  The final Durga ritual was at an end and everyone was slowly filtering downstairs for prashad/breakfast after pranam at the feet of Gurudev and receiving cuttings of grass (wheat grass?) and holy water.  I had been sitting in silence in "Gurudev's area" just observing and appreciating the various ways that devotion strikes each one of us.

He came down the stairs and moved through the group to His chair.  It was like viewing one of Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel Paintings with Christ moving through a crowd of people.  Every time, it takes me by such surprise to have such a deep, visceral reaction to this Being's presence.  Especially to see Him in contrast to what we observe as reality.   It was if someone had taken two giant hooks and gave a sharp tug to my inside.  With that action, my brain was expecting pain to follow, but instead this overwhelming emotion of grace and bliss was evoked.

As I have mentioned earlier, I have always asked the question, "What is real--the dream state or the wake state."  For the first time, the two states appeared to me in unison--Gurudev's energetic field was of the "dream state" overlaid in the "wake state."   Now, having had a few opportunities to experience this "dream state" while appearing to be awake, there is a very different texture to it--similarly sensed in the exchange with the sadhu who looked like the younger picture of Pahari Baba.  The field is so refined, clean, and smooth.  No distortion or disturbance is the only way I can try to put words to it.

No answers.  Not expecting any at this point.  Just sharing observations and experiences.

No comments: