Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Teachings from the Divine Genealogy


Continuing to read and ask questions, I have been looking up the history of the Divine Beings behind Gurudev's chair.  Are they a spiritual genealogy?  Is there a hierarchy?  How does it all fit together with the Hindu belief system?  And global religion/spirituality?  I grew up in a household where my mother spent (and still does) countless hours searching our family background.  We took trips all over going to courthouses etc. to find lineages and answers.  This was before the internet was big, so my mother had binders of information.  All of this fueled my curiosity.

Gurudev very graciously spoke about each, but what I love the most, He spoke about world religion and the world of people.  I so appreciate how He speaks about the local Indian perspective, but ties it back into the big picture.  Personally, I am not a particular religion.  I am following this practice to find the truth of humans, how to live on the planet with compassion/peace, and explore if there is a Divine Presence that helps guide us and shape the path.  He feels they are all present for the people on the planet to find access points and inspiration for moving through life and finding answers in the arduous path of consciousness.  One might be more drawn to Lord Shiva, Lord Krishna, Babaji, Pahari Baba, or the live form of Gurudev, (or other examples in the world.)  There is no rule that says you have to pick one, two, three, or that one is more right than another.  He felt most people need something to help, but it isn't even a requirement.  It is what we are drawn to as individuals.

One of my personal distractions has been, do I have to sign up for something, with someone, or in someway?  It is back to the Kool-aid question? Will I have to drink something?  Is there a cure all elixir? I can really appreciate how the householder pathway is the most common and a very effective way to stir up questions, solutions, and everything in between.  I can also appreciate and see the benefits of pure spiritual pursuit--its own climb up the side of a craggy cliff.  Either path, most of us need help and guidance.  The challenge is with whom or what fills that sacred place?  The Divine?  There doesn't appear to be any options on the planet that can fill the void.  Meditating and going deeper within the thought free zone.

(I cannot stop noting Gurudev's humility.  He is on the lower righthand corner of the picture, but He never makes references to Himself.  It is always about the global picture.  He will answer a direct question, but the teachings aren't focused on singling out any one Being with an underscore for favoritism. Respect yes, but the end is still Oneness.)  

No comments: