Saturday, September 10, 2011

Childhood forest


Where I grew up there was a small forest behind the house and a pasture full of horses next to that.  The horses use to come down to the corner of the fence line and stand under our maple tree.  As soon as I could walk, I set out to nature's playground.  My mother would find me sitting under the horses, but before that the trees were my closest friends.  We lived on the top of a hill, so neighborhood kids to play with were scarce and my three brothers were all too old to think about playing with a baby sister.  The dog and I would head off to the trees, (and sometimes the cat too.)  What is better than being in the arms of the Divine Mother.

As I started my decent today, my heart and vision returned to the limitlessness of nature and innocence of youth.  The spaciousness and love felt in those countless hours of play.  My mother use to ask me if I was lonely or afraid, but the thought never occurred to me.

Falling back into that sacred forest left me with gratitude and a flood of tears.  I am going Home.

No comments: