Monday, September 5, 2011

No furniture fitness program

Delicious meal at the ashram

Maybe the less furniture policy helps towards the path of enlightenment.  If you have to be aware of your body/presence because you aren't relying on a piece of furniture to hold you in place, then maybe you live more in the moment.  Could this be part of the deeper spiritual history in Eastern countries?

At the very least, it is like being part of a continuous fitness program.  Especially if you don't lose sight of having good posture while living without furniture.  I have sat in a chair 3 times in the past month (other than car rides) and it was easy, but then you start to notice how the chair lets you sit.  Too fun all of it.

One thing for sure, somehow the no furniture world is helping my sitting cross-legged.  I still cannot manage for too long, but the difference is I can feel how my hip joints and even knees are adjusting.  When I get in the more overall body minimized state, all the inner tension changes and it feels seamless and timeless.

There are offices in the West who are taking on different ergonomic chair/desk issues to help change lower back pain, neck pain, weak cores, etc.  Gurudev said that is helps to start as a youngster, but it is an idea to take on in possible stages or at home. Maybe when, I return to the US I won't worry about replacing my furniture--not that I had too much anyhow.



No comments: