Monday, February 6, 2012

The Question Was Humans and Not America

Strolled at the Amer Clark Hotel's vintage car show--taking in the Western World.

Someone asked me to make a list of what I do and don't miss about America.  Of course it got me thinking and I could write a very long list of what I miss and a very short list of what I don't miss, (actually the only thing on the list will be Gurudev and a few keen friends that I have made here.)  As usual, the question prompted me to go deeper, since in principle, "I am not living with attachments." (Walking down a street that has a place for pedestrians with rules that the traffic obeys (most of the time), with minimal trash, knowing that there is a bathroom facility in every business,  drinkable water, no fear of food poisoning at any restaurant (it can happen, of course), wearing whatever clothes that I desire, going unnoticed being myself... Yes, I have preferences.)

The motivation for this path was never about America or being an American.  I did that search in my twenties. I have worked and travelled in enough places around the world to know that I really like California.  My seeking has been about the human race, what lives inside, behavior, ethics, culture, intelligence, society, and so on.  Is there an Absolute Truth that exists at some point that the human race was built on, since our strength is suppose to rely on our potential consciousness?  Is there something beyond life on the Earth planet, Mars, Venus, or what ever cosmos we can imagine? What about reincarnation? God? Spirituality? Religion?  Those types of questions.

"http://d.yimg.com/nl/vyc/site/player.html#vid=28204671&browseCarouselUI=hide"

I have learned that being in a "spiritual" country doesn't mean everyone is spiritual by default.  It is a personal path and a lot of hard work in some lifetime.  No free lunch so to speak even with grace involved.  One of the rubs going back to a democratic, Western thinking country is that it costs money to have "nice" things.  People tend to work hard if they want a "nice" life.  So whether I have no attachments or not, they still require money and making a living.   The cost of living is higher.  Sadhu's would have a harder time in our community.  Orange robes wouldn't guarantee respect.

The cow who got me introduced to Help In Suffering (HIS)
She has a rough road in life.  Was saving her life the right decision?
I wish I could take her home with me.

No comments: