Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Sunday Zulu Gathering




Life is so remarkable. I was sitting on a rock out cropping in a park in Johannesburg, just sitting quietly observing the landscape and not being in a hurry. I had noticed circular slabs of cement in different locations and was curious what they were for. And I heard some lovely singing and drumming coming from somewhere in the distance. About that time, two woman and a child passed by wearing colorful robes , so I thought I might ask them about the singing and drumming. She invited me to follow her and attend the ceremony, so off the rock I jumped and away we went. The small gatherings of 10 to 30 people at each of these cement paths were performing outdoor Sunday school--it was a lovely sunny day too. The women and men were divided into groups, but both were listening to the "elder" men who appeared to take turns lecturing. At one point, one of the speakers asked if I understood Zulu, (very kind.) As they were speaking, a few English words were interjected here and there, but it was lovely just to listen to the tone of their voices and watch their body language. I really appreciated how readily they accepted me, I appeared to be the only white person attending the meeting--not to leave out that I had a baseball cap instead of a head scarf too.


No comments: