Saturday, July 30, 2011

In the flow, going with the flow...

An aspect of spiritual deepening is trusting, allowing, and going with what is unfolding.  Moving to India was the first big part of this for me.  Now, probably moving in the next thirty days is a lesser, but a piece of this aspect.  It turns out that a few things have been going on where I was to live that appear not to be negotiable.  Learning a lot about the inner thinking and business process of the Indian culture--even Gurudev is involved in an advisory form/(gate keeper to the bigger picture incognito.) I am getting an opportunity to examine my faith and not opt for my false/ego driven will to overcome the situation:  just sit back, open, soften, and let the universe drive the bus.  Knowing that I could sleep on the street or rent a room in a hotel gives me a lot of flexibility.  In the meantime, I did have a fan installed (one guy standing on two stacked barrels with two other guys stabilizing the barrels), ordering a spin cycle to keep up with my fitness rain or shine, and getting the final linens for the bed. We decided that there aren't too many critters in my room, so that I am safe to sleep with the mattress on the floor.

It turns out that one Saturday a month, Gurudev goes outside the ashram to give Satsang to a small group of disciples.  Someone was explaining that there was singing, chanting, dancing, and teaching:  a little different flavor of spiritual process for the ashram attendees, but it sounded familiar to what I had been exposed to at home.   It would be very interesting to attend, but I am not sure if it is private at this point.

While sitting in His presence or the presence of the ashram pictures, something has shifted. I don't really notice that I am in that "stoned/bliss" state until I go to move.  Before, I recognized it even while sitting.  I was called to get up and move quickly a couple of times and even though mentally I was able to sharpen/move, my body was in a completely different state.  It surprised me.  Almost as if I was trying to move in a dream state.  Something has shifted in my walks through the streets too.  It feels like I am more a part of the whole:  not standing out and drawing unwanted attention.  The business people are treating me more fairly with pricing.  Children/mothers are still asking for money, but watching a native deal with it is insightful.  Sometimes they only want money--not food--just like at home.

The book I mentioned yesterday has some interesting thoughts and statistics about the poor and the growing global division between the "haves" and the  "have nots."  Coming from a land where historically hard work and vision enabled success vs. cultures where malnutrition, impure water, and basic survival hamper the drive and limit success for individuals.  The out of site, out of mind principle applies too.  When our stricken neighbors are across a body of water or in a foreign land, it can be more challenging to draw upon compassion or statistically too overwhelming to take action.  The book was written before we (Westerners) were stricken with the current challenges of economic instability, unemployment rates, and home foreclosures.  This layer is still a different aspect of survival than finding a clean water source or food supply, but it is more difficult to recognize that when in your own "survival mode."  It is interesting to learn and digest all of this firsthand while living in a country that is considered more of a "have not" country.  My verdict is undetermined at this point.  Not sure where issues like birth control, basic cleanliness/respect for the surroundings, and honesty all fit into the have or have not part of the equation.

On a lighter note, Gurudev offered me his stationary bike, but it isn't working properly, (sat out in the rain once creating rust and the tension adjustor is broken), but it would almost be worth it for the essence left from his presence....  He also asked me about my plans for work, so when I mentioned the horse possibility again and being open to what might show up.  There appeared to be a small floodgate open and just by chance, the brother of my horse contact was sitting in the Ashram...  

No comments: