Saturday, February 19, 2011

Reflections and Observations

A morning of dressage. I do love the tools and the possibilities that grow from the fundamentals of dressage. While out riding in the bush, I have been practicing my position with intention. Of course, the contact is different, but I can still work with the correct form and energetics. The hours in the saddle without contact is disturbing everything less, so the form is becoming a habit. Interesting to observe the pattern in the horses even with longish reins. This trip is really stirring the soup of my trail riding past and more current years of dressage.

On a more personal note, it is different to be taking directions and moving around as a peg on a pegboard instead of being the organizer of the peg board. There are aspects that are pleasant: less responsibility, observing someone else's decisions/outcomes, and practicing not being attached to the outcome if it was what I was instructed to do. It all feels like I am use to playing on the A for overachievers team and now I can play as a decent player on the B team--with very little effort. All of this would be more in line with my idea of taking a year to meditate and this lifestyle is the preparation. I am not being asked to use my years of experience except for in very small increments, but the awareness and connection to the horses is uncontrollable. It is such a deep sensing place of awareness that it is difficult to turn it down, so that I don't make myself crazy with what I cannot change. Clearly, it is no different than learning and observing what is in the environment around us and only being able to influence a small part.

As I reflect on the wild animals, they are remarkable but I don't feel fear. Only respect. My fear is much greater for the two legged animals called man who are rapists, murderers, tormentors etc. who inhabit our day to day living space. It feels like being killed by an animal would be a 'clean' death in comparison to the torture potential in the hands of man.

The second group of guests left today--returning to Great Britain and Germany. The next week will be without guests, but we are going to take advantage of the down time and visit several local wildlife places and go out for some game drives. I will keep you posted...

No comments: