Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Reality of being on the aids

With my current search for an appropriate, affordable dance outlet, I am struck by the misfortune of many horses. As a follower in the dance partnership, I am subject to the leader's posture, use/timing of the aids, and sensitivity. I would like to believe that most leaders have a good intention. The misfortune comes in the reality. It is a very long process for a leader to understand his own mechanics in motion, choreography of varying degrees of difficulty, and the action of influencing another living body to move in synchrony through space. As I am trying out different instructors, I am suffering from potential injuries in different parts of my body: back, knees, feet, etc. Unfortunately, I am not a "finished" dancer so I can lose my alignment and posture as I try to stay with my partner. Here is were the injury potential comes in. The horse is no different. The horse moves with degrees of straightness and self carriage, but if the rider doesn't make these a priority than the horse's body integrity is compromised while in motion. All of this lends itself to sore backs, strained tendons and ligaments, etc. At least as a dancer, I don't have to wear a saddle and bridle while having spurs and a whip applied. As riders and trainers, we owe it to the artful side of dressage and our partners to pursue excellence in feel, timing, and technique. I suppose this is were patience with the journey comes into play.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow...

Sue, I found your blog after you contacted me about an off-track TB I'm trying to rehome.

For years, I've known that classical dressage is the ultimate expression of what I always strive for with my own horses. But I have never found an instructor that seems to *get* what I believe is possible.

I am not a dressage rider...I love to start colts...I ride mostly trail...and by some twist of fate, own three Tennessee Walking Horses and two Paints...but I always yearn to better my connection with my horses. I've taken countless lessons with countless trainers, and have never taken a SECOND lesson with any of them, because every time, I walk away disappointed for my horse. It's funny...each time, I see the opportunity to perhaps control the horse more completely...but truly, control is not what I seek.

One of these days, I would love to have a lesson with you!

Thank you for such an insightful, well written blog...

Maria